This is the archive of my 3rd set of Words To Know. This is the Words To Know Contest.
hirsute \HUR-soot; HIR-soot; hur-SOOT; hir-SOOT\, adjective:
Covered with hair; set with bristles; shaggy; hairy.
sesquipedalian \ses-kwuh-puh-DAYL-yuhn\, adjective:
1. Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; having many syllables.
bete noire \bet-NWAHR\, noun:
Something or someone particularly detested or avoided; a bugbear.
bugbearÂ \buhg-bair\ noun:
1. any source, real or imaginary, of needless fright or fear.
2. a persistent problem or source of annoyance.
3. Folklore. a goblin that eats up naughty children.
deipnosophist \dyp-NOS-uh-fist\, noun:
Someone who is skilled in table talk.
somniferous \som-NIF-uhr-uhs\, adjective:
Causing or inducing sleep.
unfledged \uhn-FLEJD\, adjective:
1. Lacking the feathers necessary for flight.
2. Not fully developed; immature.
vicissitude \vih-SIS-ih-tood; -tyood\, noun:
1. Regular change or succession from one thing to another; alternation; mutual succession; interchange.
2. Irregular change; revolution; mutation.
3. A change in condition or fortune; an instance of mutability in life or nature (especially successive alternation from one condition to another).
draconian \dray-KOHN-ee-uhn; druh-\, adjective:
1. Pertaining to Draco, a lawgiver of Athens, 621 B.C.
2. Excessively harsh; severe.
frangible \FRAN-juh-buhl\, adjective:
Capable of being broken; brittle; fragile; easily broken